2014-11-12

Alien Post - The Stormlight Archive

Recently I really got into fantasy books again and the one I was most impressed by is The Way Of Kings from the Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. I guess it's my girlfriend's fault. One evening she told me about the new book series she was reading and while she told me about the story (for once not spoiling me) she showed me some drawings that were included in the book. And for some reason, it drew my interest. So after she finished reading, or rather devouring the novel, I got it and this is what it is about:
In this first book the story is mostly built around the young man Kaladin who originally thought of war to be his chance to get out of the life he was born into but ends up as a slave, condemned by the man he would've given his life for. Of course slaves were wanted for war as well, what brought him to the worst place to be: The Shattered Plains, where the most brutal and outrageous war of all time was fought by the human race on the one side and the Parshendi on the other side, assumed to be responsible for the assassination of king Gavilar of Alethkar. King, assassination, war - sounds obvious, right?
At the same time - but on the other side of the continent - Shallan is fighting her own battle in order to save her family. To win the trust of the most important woman, the king's sister Jasnah Kholin, she tries to become her ward at first only to steal pretty much the most powerful item mankind knows about, a soulcaster, used to form anything you want from any material you want. Practically a way to make food from stone and water from soil.
Well, give it a try if you like what you've read so far. Book two, Words Of Radiance is also out already and book three is to be released in 2016 - so still enough time to read the first two over and over again.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin