2014-08-02

Hamburg Longboard Spots - Beating the Train

Welcome to the first episode of Hamburg Longboard Spots. Today I'll present to you a nice ride that will bring you directly to the city if you pursue it long enough. But this time I limited it to one third of the total length for this post as the amount of photos is already too damn high. Still I will add all worthy pics to an upcoming site that will include all the photos from all the posts plus some extra shots. So, let's get started!


Starting off at the Allermöhe train station we go west following the train tracks. As on this side of the train tracks there's no city but the countryside we get into a huge cloud of dust from a field machine right next to us. Not good for our lungs and not good for the camera either.Actually we got no possibility to race a train -- doesn't even matter as at least three other trains would have passed us on the way -- so we took our time to enjoy the ride (song of the week by Krewella) instead of rushing through.

As the camera I use still isn't my own I left it inside the bag for a long part of the first third of the ride because it seemed quite dangerous to me to carry it around my neck and in my hand while I was on the board. Also most of what I saw wasn't that awesome for photos. But I knew about some good possibilities to take a good shot.

For example there was this bridge leading us to the other side of a little river flowing along the fields. Well, hardly flowing. That's also the reason for the disgusting smell in some areas of the track.

For some reason there has to begin a dike right where the bridge is so the path has a bump of one and a half meters right before the bridge. The dike goes on to the left of it but only five meters to the right this wouldn't have been a problem. But this way you actually have to get off your board. What a shame! At least in the direction we were going as the bridge was very board-unfriendly. The other way round the bump was actually a nice help to get onto the board with at least some speed. 

The next problem was the tarmac at some parts of the track. Some small cracks are fine but you don't want to be forced to practice jumping because of them.





So we made it to the first train station and took a break preparing for the next part that generally looks better and also made a lot more fun what resulted in more photos.

As most horses were in their boxes already we had a hard time searching for one. But only for you I got a shot of a real beauty. Well, I found it right next to the path. Wasn't that hard to get.

Actually there was again a obstacle, a standard red and white bar. But my girlfriend had a nice solution. Just sit down on your board and roll on. As I was concentrated on taking the photos I didn't even bother trying it.













Some hundreds of meters further there was a handcrafted bench placed on the side of the road. Nothing you'd want to have standing in your living room but still it inspired us to shoot some photos.

I can't really describe it but in general I like places where you see man-made structures perfectly blending in to its natural surroundings. Or also if it didn't blend in so well in the beginning abandoned buildings that become one with the nature can be beautiful in their very own way.

But the best about the photos left and below is the contrast of my board, the red and black scarecrow, to the wooden bench and the green grass and trees. Also my girlfriend made a good job especially on the last one with the diagonal line of the plants on the ground, the rather decent focus on the bench and the relation of me to my board.






But then we we almost at the prison. Obviously I couldn't take many pictures of it as the guards don't really like that.

After passing the prison we approached the bridge that lead us over the motorway. Also nice for pictures and riding down on the other side. There, the motorway actually went through a tunnel underneath a freight yard with those huge cranes on rails moving containers from trucks to trains and the other way round. Unfortunately we didn't see more than the tops of the cranes moving from one place to another as there was a huge wall.

That's it for today. We didn't go on to the spot marked on the map as we didn't want to just ride along that boring straight road. But if you want to go home by train you should go there as the train station of Billwerder-Moorfleet is right next to it.

I hope you like this new series, tell me if you actually finished reading in the comments and also tell me what you'd like to be changed. Next Saturday we kick off the bike spots with a nice off-road spot. Until then, keep exploring and save your spots.